Friday 14 October 2011

insert opinions on the mystery Dan Saffer and his respected opinions here.

http://www.designinterviews.com/interviews/interaction-design-is-an-applied-art

After reading this interview about 4 and half times it started to sink in. he’s a bloke who knows what he’s on about, although doesn’t say anything groundbreaking. I’ve never heard of him before, but im quite the ignoramus so this doesn’t surprise me too much.

Is obvious im word filling ?

First question he’s gotta deal with is about self teaching vs. design education, there’s benefits to both, as he points out. Sitting at your computer digging through the intenet, playing on tutorials and learning how to do stuff is a great way to start learning stuff. Its always gonna be a huge help if you know more than nothing, and it’s a great way to find useful sites that might lead on to other things, contstantly expanding and building on what you know already. Being taught by a person in the know has also got its advantages, people that have a steadfast knowledge of a specific area can offer a vast amount of insight, helpful tips and successful methods gained from their own mistakes, saving time and pushing you forward.

He carries on to say how important it is for designers to understand the properties of the media they work in, in order make the most of it and use it to all its capabilities. I hate the coding aspect of interactive, I’m from a graphic design and illustration background, always harping on about it, and I find it hard to translate the ideas that would work so well on paper to web, and do them justice. Most of the work I’ve produced relevant to this pathway is still in the mindset of a graphic designer, I think this comes from not knowing enough about the back end, how to code, and the potential of the web, I’m not familiar enough with the media I’m hoping to work with. The more lessons I force myself to attend the more ill learn about what I can do and how to go about it slowly but surely my mindset will change to a more fluid, anything is possible, javascript for life, this is how ill make this slide into that, journey planning setting. I hope.

Final point I’m gonna crack on with, he states, in his opinion, what the two typical mistakes of new designers, and they’re both ones I trip over. First one being falling in love with an idea so much so I cant see past it. I’m set on what I want to do, a novel navigation say, and although it might fit in with my theme and whatever else, it’s not functional. I’m too pigheaded or blind to see a better way to approach my problem, I never do enough variations of the design to overcome it. Even the subtlest change could have a huge impact on the usability and interactivity of my concept. Least I know so can start to overcome it. Cheers danny boy.

Second one is the lack of detail, another one Ive gotta say im guilty of, small things such as the placing of a social networking icon on every page or whatever, I don’t bother considering it, then it ruins me at the end. All great designers have got it all down to a tee, I think this is something ill pick up as times goes on and I pracice design and build more sites. Key is in the detaaaaaaaaaaails. haha.



saff-dog what a fox

No comments:

Post a Comment