Wednesday 20 October 2010

3DS MAX Animation

First time on 3ds max, and i found it silly difficult.
I'm not the best at computers.


It’s the one thing I really struggle with, I can have the weirdest, coolest ideas but its delivery never matches up, I always let myself down, do I found this to be about as challenging as I thought it would be. I left the lesson about ready to cry a few times, haha.

The idea of sitting at a screen clicking buttons, allowing the program to do all the making just didn’t appeal; I’m more into getting messy and drawing by hand. After thinking about it I realized perhaps this gives me an advantage, the fact i hate the outcome means I’m going to have to try harder, and really struggle with myself to create something I’m proud of, so I look forward to that, and maybe incorporating illustration and hand made elements into the 3d animation somehow.



After the first 2 lessons, I started to get my own ideas, and drew up some very rough thumbnail sketches, but soon realized I was getting waay too far ahead of myself. I simplified it, and with the help of a lot of youtube tutorials and the life and death of about 13 3ds max fish, and guidance of anyone sitting within 10 metres of me, I created something I’m actually quite proud of for a first play with the program.

It’s not the best use of the 30 seconds, but its definitely a good representation of my channel, and me. haha

I think the characters are quite close to the sort of illustrations I use in my sketchbooks, I think I posted a fish character in the last blog. I wanted them to look simple and a bit fucked up, standard colours. I like the sort of ‘odd ball’ ‘fail’ thing it has going to it, like there’s so many different ways to create amazing 3d figures and things, but I’ve gone for a simple fish, sort of like I’m taking the piss.

I really struggle with mixing technical elements into freedom and creativity and I think throughout this year this lesson is going to be the one I draw the most from.

2 comments:

  1. i used 3d studio max once and found it really hard, so how ever you made this i think you did sound :). maybe seperate the fish? have one going in another direction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool animation, could add some sound though to create a bit of tension. Good first attempt!

    ReplyDelete