Tuesday 12 October 2010

My Design Process




One of the more recent project briefs I completed was to create a paper form information source detailing a decade of our choosing, I decided to pick the 90’s, the decade of my birth and an era I really like the buzz of.
To begin my design process I set upon gathering as much information about the 90’s as I could, but soon realised an organised approach would be more beneficial than diving head first into to Google’s depths, so I sectioned the era off into 6 chapters I thought would give a real feel for the time and appeal to my target audience, based on what gets them now, and began to pile up images, videos, music and text to illustrate it.
(Introduction, music, T.V, film, crazes and fashion)
My target audience was primarily people about my age, my purpose to inform.
To inform my ideas, and help create a graphically engaging design I looked at existing informative leaflets, booklets and brochures. Slugging through about 15 or so I was bored as, and was set upon not churning out another crap, unenthusiastic booklet; I wanted my audience to be sharing my passion for the decade.
All my research was mainly image based, and documented within a sketch book,, very raw and informative without too many words, so when it came to design concepts for the final piece I set out to keep it this way, so as to let the reader or consumer of my design get their own interpretation of the 90’s. I wanted a very open ‘in yer face’ piece.
When my idea was set, I moved to layout, messing around with the most successful way of arranging my images, according to colour, relationship etc. and created a few rough prototypes or print outs to show my friends and see which they thought most successful.
Below are a few pictures of my piece, in ashamedly bad quality photos !




This project lasted about 6 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment