Thursday 25 October 2012

ATRG - CONCEPT


 METAPHOR :

ATRG as a galaxy, a variety of different aspects, concepts, products, developments, attitudes and directions held together with the common ambition of providing innovative solutions through advanced textiles.

CONCEPT :

I am going to relate my project to the universe, more specifically a galaxy for a load of reasons which I reckon I've touched on briefly with the last slapdash post.
Space is one of the great unknowns about the world, along with the deepest darkest depths of the ocean, that encourages a variety of different emotions and feelings within us as hoomans. It's a place or thing we'll probably never know everything about, its shrouded in mystery, intrigue, curiosity. It represents potential, possibility, the great unknown, uncertainty, excitement, anticipation of what could be out there, awe, interest, exploration, adventure, pioneers and a basketful more. It immediately evokes so many reactions and emotions within us when we look at it, talk about or think about it, I plan on projecting these onto my project. My interpretation of the 3rd interactive brief, the past one, was a link from past to future, hinting at the potential and pioneering attitude, and exciting the audience for ATRG's future ventures, as well as demonstrating the innovation of their current stuff. That's the stuff I wanna focus my site around, those feelings.I wanna take the idea of the universe, and those emotions, and splash it all over my project, the whole metaphor thing works a treat when explaining my idea, but it works in practicality to, i want to give the user an interactive experience around a place that's not obviously space, but hints at, nudges towards, indicates, or alludes to being some sort of galaxy, whilst remaining relevant to ATRG and not going weird on nebulas.


AUDIENCE :

The brief goes wild about the audience, and tailoring the experience/site towards a specific demographic with either the products you choose to demonstrate, or the content you stick in there, but after tutorial I'm feeling abit better. My projects concept domenant, which might kick me in the metaphorical balls in a bit, when it comes to specifically tailoring something to an audience like the military, or medicine. Im guessing theyre gonna want no nonsense straight sleek facts, and mine might appear a bit of a game to them, which wont be sound for the research group. But after asking David, he's clarified to sort of ignore that, and that the audiences are wider :
the media,
potential sponsors, or existing.
Researchers
research students,
and industry, which will include military, medicine, and whatever else.

I'm gonna try and mould my idea and site to being a relevant experience, but keep the almost playful elements, cos i think they're valuable and demonstrate the ideals of the group. a science led group, but with a hell of a lot of considered design.

WHAT :

I want my project to be less about the re branding and logo, although that is something I'm gonna do, just not focus and begin with, and more about the experience. I reckon that's more important. Giving the user a lasting insight and decided feel for the group through what they've done/experienced is more powerful and lasting than going for an oddly worded tag line. whole thing of them 3 ways of learning, kinetic or whatnot. taglines normally cringe me bad. Im hoping to create a company identity through the narrative of the site rather than depending on logos and taglines and small things that come together to build up the identity, they can be used to enhance it. Means i can cut back on that kinda stuff, hopefully. I wanna create an experience, welcome to my world, this is us, whole thing brimming with their values, or message, logos n that can be simple, and classic and understated. keep repeating myself, but i want a lasting impression ! an experience, journey, thing. concept not content!

DESIGN and TECHNICAL :

I dont at all wanna take space and throw it as a background for my site, I wanna incorporate the deciding elements of space into my project. the subtleties are gonna do the wor, pre conceptions, associations and that, the metaphor concept is the backbone of my project, but not gonna be an obvious design choice.
I wanna incorporate some colours maybe, and the idea's.
The weird box ive drawn on that A4 above is supposed to be a small wireframe/thumbnail.
The dots will be links to their existing products/case studies, information will appear on a rollover/click in a box, maybe linking to another page depending on the content we receive. The idea is the dots will be placed in a loose chronological order, the top right hinting towards the future and potential, and therefore showcasing their development, a timeline without dates.
The idea of the page will be, maybe using flash or Jquery or something else (badly gotta look into this stuff cos its years beyond me, gonna be an absolute killer) and move, or interact with the mouse and its positioning to sort of change perspective or roll around. Had a quick peek at existing stuff and this site http://26000.resn.co.nz/ (classic resn) is a sort of what i want, but  i want it more subtle than this.

I wanna create, resemble, give the feeling of space, and vast possibility. hoping this sort of galaxy of products will do that.

Colour scheme wise, i wanna be simple as. I wanna be classic, understated, and chilled. My idea can't be over the top and childish like most of my work, gotta strip it back and keep it relevant to the client.
next post'll probs be colour swatches. well it will be, cos ive already started doing that. absolute spoiler alert.

 I wanna take shapes, layouts and colours and the sense of room, and features from space, in a practical way and douse my site in it.


THINGS TO TAKE A GANDER AT :

gotta go on a hunt for technical ways of creating my idea, gotta make it do able. flash, html 5, jquery load of ruddy surgery sessions with any tutor that'll have me i recks.


OTHER STUFF :
During presentations there was a lotta talk of making stuff responsive or sticking it in wordpress, I dont wanna play it safe, and am real set on delivering what im chatting about, but i think that kinda stuff for me is unnecessary. I dont reckon ATRG is the kinda thing youd stumble upon if you were a tom or a dick or a harry, its audience is specific, and its looked at by people who know where there at, i dont reckon them kinda folks, industry, sponsors or media are there for kicks or to mess around so smartphones arent a thing im goin to design for. After asking David about this, he said if i justify it in my eval, jobs a goodun. so sound. As for tablets though, the discussion that followed left me thinking id under estimated how relevant they are, and how widespread their success is, so i am gonna have to think about how id design for a tablet. a real relevant consideration.

Wordpress - I'm not going to work towards integrating my site into wordpress, if the client chose my idea, and wanted it, then I would, if that happens, then I will. but for the purpose of my brief, I wanna air tight concept Im gonna focus everything ive got on my project. I understand the relevance, importance, and necessity nowadays of wordpress and other CMS's but for the brief, and my immediate goals, ima leave it, and justify it again in the eval. Probs mention constantine and lockwood some too, cos thats always an absolute treat.


DEVELOPMENT :
whole ideas rough, unrefined, not chiseled and a load more words for rough, but during tutor concept got mentioned of maybe instead of a galaxy, bringing it back to ATRG through using a peice of thread, photographed on a macro lens. Not sure how it would work with the movement, and fluidity, its gonna be able to be done but ill know for sure after ive finished investigating. Im not sure if im ready to move on from my idea without having checked it out properly first, but thats a second variation i wanna go with. Tutorial dropped the gem of prezzi as well, a site were I can do some mock ups and stereotypes to test my idea without the code. its apparently used for presentations and stuff, but i might be able to manipulate it for what i neeed.incredible !

No comments:

Post a Comment