Wednesday 6 February 2013

300 word capdown – number one


Reasonable assumptions based on my document and continued reading have informed my opinions and thought processes, my project will exploring the idea and testing the theory of co-operative play as a means of engagement through interactive media.


GO:

Initially lacking in direction and confidence, my first artefact, an interview with parents, was not precise in its aims or implementation. My questions were vague; they circled around the parent/child relationship, but equally as much focused on parental attitudes, with hopes of supporting my document and offering me reassurance. Originally I intended to carry out multiple phone interviews, but further reading clarified understanding a relationship is less about the individuals self-awareness and opinions and more so about the natural tangents and organic  interactions between the two people, I therefore decided to carry out a joint interview with two parents, in person.  At a preschool age, parents shape the narratives of their children’s lives, it is for this reason I began focusing on parents.
Parents Passion = Relationship       Relationship = Data
The data acquired from my interview supports my earlier research as expected, so I have learnt little new information, just re-enforced my original expectations.  However, whilst speaking to parents and hearing their lifestyles and speaking to my friend, explaining my project, I began to realize the original motivations for choosing this topic to be outdated. Industry has grown to offer 1000’s of innovative applications to children, so my question is less ‘how can it be used’ and more ‘how can it be delivered BETTER ?’  Through co-operative play I say! I have gained direction and clarity in thought through the unimpressive results drawn from this artefact. Parents expressed their willingness to get involved, and were excited by the idea I proposed, they mentioned the importance of social skills, more so than over education, and their high regard for guided participation as well as solid examples of observational learning. My theory has been backed up by primary research, so not a complete waste.
Indirectly, I have learnt the approach I need to adopt in order to progress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment