Tuesday 5 February 2013

ARTEFACT 1 –WHAT AM I !?


I’m an interview with parents.

Based on my excessively long and tedious document I did some thinking and concluded some conclusions. Armed with the knowledge and understanding gained from reading and secondary research, illustrated in my document, I made some reasonable assumptions.
Or I took a read of my document, had a look at some of the notes I’d made and evaluated the stuff I’d gotten to know. I did a thought shower, a brainstorm and a spider diagram to see what started to make sense, organizing my thoughts in a semi-coherent way.
Theories of cognitive development and learning within a child’s mind supported the idea of co-operative play being a concept worthy of testing, Bandura, Erikson and a fair few more go on to second third and forty fifth this idea, adding techniques and approaches that work collaboratively with the idea. Market research indicated the room for such a notion to be explored without too many of the answers existing, how exciting. SO. I had my theory, my idea, my go to guy.

How can Interactive Media be used to engage children aged 3-5years ?
I say co-operative play is a bloody good guess.

Why tho eh.

Artefact one is an interview with some parents. I chose parents because:
My research exaggerated the importance of the parent/child relationship, in play, in learning, in development, in getting a nappy changed. I’ve spent a fair bit of time with my own mom, she’s useful, and I wouldn’t be where I am without her, obviously. I’ve spent some time around her and my younger brother, and experienced how I’m his best friend when everything’s right with the world, but if his heads full of snot or his eyes are heavy he needs nobody but my mom. In the field observation! She’s his base and he’s most comfortable and himself with her.
 The theories I’d explored through my document built the foundations for this and all had in common the importance of the relationship. Bowlby talks of a goal-corrected partnership, in which the wants and desires of the parent take over and begin to shape the narrative of the child’s life and of the attachment theory (you shouldn’t need that one explaining)… Vygostky mentions the idea of guided participation, the zone of proximal development (how much more a child can do with help of a wiser adult) and sociocultural learning, development motivated by the external world and relationships… Children communicate through their parents, so for me to understand how interactive media can be used to engage through co-operative play I need to understand the relationship. Essentially, the relationship is my data.
Parents Passion = Relationship       Relationship = Data

What I did.
Initially I thought I’d do a few telephone interviews with friends and parents I knew, of all age ranges. They’d be quick, I could do a lot of them, and I could record it easy as pie. I did some research into the sort of data different techniques and approaches would provide me with, and realized quickly that understanding a relationship is less about the individuals self awareness, but more about observation and understanding. The tangents and unorganized, natural bi-products of the interview would illustrate the lifestyle and relationship, the importance of building a rapport and being comfortable with an interviewee became more apparent. So I flicked the telephone interview and survey idea into the bin, despite their simplicity and convenience and set about finding me some parents. 
Long and long of it is. I called a local parent and toddler group and asked to go down for an informal chat, to ask 9 open-ended questions about technology and their lifestyles. I went armed with consent forms, question answered forms and a brief introduction to my project sheet. I was lucky enough to be able to find a group with the attendance of parents and children, so although for this artefact parents are the subjects, the relationship between the mother/father and child and the subsequent interactions and narratives would be something I was able to record. I spoke to 2 parents, both of a similar age, under 30, but of different lifestyles and backgrounds. I  recorded the verbal transaction between myself and the two parents via my smartphone, after talking to both ladies about my project.

What I wanted.
I fancied knowing what sort of parenting techniques both family’s took on to test the ideas of guided participation. I wanted to know parental concerns on the exposure of technology to younger children to use as a sort of guideline and rule system to build artefacts that would with those concerns to keep parents on board with my project. I wanted to better understand the parent/child relationship, and to get an idea of the sort of content to include.
More so than that, what I wanted was validation, that my project and idea was right. I’m an idiot though, that’s not even a slightly correct approach. More on that in the evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment