Wednesday 7 November 2012

ATRG trip aboot the place



written up notes above.


Trip to Bonnington and a walk about the guys facilities, small intro in to some of their stuff, the processes and machines.
Although it wasnt directly related to the brief I'd chosen I found it real useful. After meeting the TEAM and getting abit of insight into what they do, I think my idea needs to shifted about abit.
Ive been dead keen on hammering space home, but I think the concept of using the thread needs to be the one I investigate more.


After listening to what the fella had to say I was left feeling my idea of space might be a bit irrelevant. I got the impression from the 'client' they’re pretty close KNIT. waaa The group appear to be really direct and focused. Pick a problem, solve it, pass it on to a spin out company, start again. That’s not at all what I was expecting from a research group. It made me wander if my ideas a bit fancy, unnecessary and not relevant to the client. I’ve been questioning whether my loyalty lies with the client, or the brief. I got home and immediately changed my mind, setting up shop with the idea of the piece of thread (earlier mentioned concept) as that’s more direct, that after meeting them, I think they’d be into more.
Buuut.

After writing the post for me blog, I changed me mind.
I think my responsibility and loyalty lies with both the client, and the brief and myself. I want to create a piece of work I’m real pleased to show off, both with design and the considerations behind it, I want it to be fulfilling the criteria of the brief, creating a sense of anticipation and awe, but a relevant representation and branding to the client. This has led me to realise the best option is going to be, combining both concepts, so perhaps space would create a new identity that matches the problem solving area of their process. It fits the brief so well. Having said that, my brief allows me to rebrand, to create a new identity and character of the company to some extent, so there’s wiggle room.
Best case scenario, carry on sailing the jquery seas to get some stuff ready for David’s session next Thursday, investigate, explore and develop both ideas to a point where I’m comfortable and and have my journey mapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment